Thursday, September 13, 2012

What the hell did I pack or bring it on till it's 100 lbs!

I am exhausted simply from the sight of the items I plan to take with me to Peace Corps service. Initially, we were told of an allowance of 80 pounds. Now... I understand it is a whopping 100 pounds, therefore...HELL YEAH......I plan to stuff my baggage until it explodes or when it gets to 100 pounds.

I am a minimalist when I travel but with premeditation and determination, I will splurge just this one time and bring as much jazz as I can to make my 27 months of life just a lil' bit more comfortable, interesting, and convenient. Okay, there is nothing "interesting" that I am bringing. Maybe two pairs of chopstick can qualify. Maybe not...

Toiletries and art supplies, if utilized, will all be gone from use. So that is already 20% of my bulk as they are probably the heaviest in weight, not counting all the shoes. I have a box containing a potpourri of colored water pencils, markers, acrylic paints, brushes and inks with several drawing paper notepads in 11"x14". I even brought an electric pencil sharpener and some miscellaneous stationery supplies. I did bring a lot of skin care lotion and potion but not because I am a high maintenance gal, au contraire, but because my local health food store had a clearance shelf where I took my right hand and arm and swiped every bottle and jar of cream off the shelf down to my shopping cart thus making loud clinking sounds. With a sticker price of $2.97 per item, who could  have resisted? I have enough inventory for me to open a tiny beauty salon in my village in Tanzania. Blame it on the ridiculous sale! NOT ME!

There is an irony about me. I love to eat but I hate to look at a menu and order food. I love to travel but I hate to pack clothes. I'm wishy washy when it comes to packing clothes. I rather live in hiking pants and shirts but in order to keep the appearance of professionalism of my job title and the organization that I represent and most importantly, the integration of the local culture, I should be wearing skirts. Preferably ankle length. This is Peace Corp's rule, especially during training and possibly at my site if I end up living on the coast where it's primarily Muslim in which ultra conservative is in order. I have not had much luck finding long skirts. To add insult to injury, ladies are required to wear a slip under their skirts. Who the hell wears a slip in the 21st century? Women these days can hardly wait to show skin, boobs, thighs, belly, and almost ass. We live in the age of bimbos where "sexy" means showing skin, lots of it. Even grannys these days don't wear a slip! Again, that was also challenging to find in which as I write this, I still do not own one. I'm thinking in exasperation, "who the hell is going to wear a slip underneath a long skirt when you're hot and sweaty in Africa...like who's going to know!?!?" I shall respect the culture as surely there is a reason, maybe not a logical one, but one nevertheless...therefore, a lady's slip is on my shopping list.

Next category is my favorite: gears and gadgets. Smallest in size but largest in value. I plan to have a Mac Air laptop ( a gift to be from my very generous brother), Kindle Touch, IPhone, Powertraveller extreme solar charger, Eton portable short wave radio, Altec Lansing portable speaker, Lumix digital camera, flash drive, Steripen, and then the little guys like an assortment of tools and switch blades accouterments, headlight, flash light, assorted batteries, binocular, kitchen knives, veggie peeler, plastic egg carrier, solar shower, adapters, bike helmet, nalgene bottle and a single trekking pole in which the top end serves as a uni pod for my camera.

I feel a bit extravagant but I know well that they will come in good use and I will not regret bringing 2 pairs of sunglasses and 3 hats. Why the numerous quantity? Again, cheap price and awfully cute which means irresistible. I love Target. Enough said.

The rest are mumbo jumbo such as a Swahili dictionary, a Tanzania guide book, Qtips, cotton pads, several micro fiber towels in different size and form, plastic bags, nylon bags, travel bag, other kind of bags, Ziploc bags, and laundry hanger with clothes pin I received as a gift from Albert who is smart so I will bring what he gives me since he is a practicing MD with a JD and a MBA degree. Dr. Garib also contributed to some of the things I'll be bringing. He is the only person who has given me gifts in which I can use during my Peace Corps service. Thank you dear sir!

It's always wiser to bring more than to bring less in that you'll aways have it handy when you need it given that we will be living in a house. Or maybe a hut. Again, why not max out the 100 pounds allowance? It's a once in a life time opportunity that one can bring free 100 lbs of baggage. After Peace Corps service, I revert back being a regular Joe Schmo with the standard 55 lbs allowance for international travel. So for now.....bring it on baby......!


No comments:

Post a Comment