Monday, September 24, 2012

I give up on the packing!

Call me greedy, but if we can carry 100 pounds worth of life to Peace Corps, why the heck not take advantage? Am I an opportunist? You bet! The majority of items will be used up and in no time, the once upon a time monstrosity of all that weight and mass will soon be dwindle to half the volume.

Tonight I took out some items, completely insignificance in weight but what I added was random. I raided my mum's pantry and took with me all the stash of herbal teas I last bought when I was in Germany. It weighs a feather but it's bulky as they look like potpourri in a plastic bag. 5 bags with miscellaneous loose tea bags which they were found homeless and unwanted so I'll give them a home in Tanzania. I also played eenie meenie miney moe for I need to chose some packets of seeds to start a garden. I closed my eyes and whatever my right hand grabbed will be my future cornucopia. Today during breakfast at a cafe, I took two handfuls of Tabasco sauce packets. These are probably, I dare say, the most important and emotionally satisfying thing I'm bringing. The king size Mcdaddy bottle are no longer sold in Costco. Scheisse! I don't know where else sell these giant bottles for I use Tabasco as an alcoholic abuses alcohol. A bottle doesn't last very long in my possession. If Tabasco came in a solid form, I'd eat that too. Nutrition may be challenging, so I stole my mum's last two bottles of COQ10. I hate taking vitamins for I have a sensitive gag reflex. But for health's sake, these capsules may delay the aging process as I will be withering under the hot beating African sun trekking far to fetch water from a well, handwashing clothes over rocks in a stream where after couple months, my hands will start to look like they belong to a hag's, beheading a chicken for dinner and walking or biking for miles to buy an egg...in which all these activities are laborious and aging as it's a hard life. I do have one anti-aging product as a "treat". This is somewhat extravagant but I thought in life, you never know... so be prepared. I have two bottles of hair color. You never know when the President of Tanzania will invite me to a  zebra BBQ lunch or seeing who can who can last the longest, me or Obama, at a jumping dance marathon in Kenya. Garnier's Medium Natural Brown #50 will give me the  solid confidence in these two occasions.

My South African friend, Elmarie, told me to bring a bottle of hair color for an "emergency". I asked her what emergency?? She gave me that sly smile and her mischievous blue eyes said it all. I adamantly told her "uh....NO!" Elmarie tells me how funny it would be if I fell in love, hence the emergency hair color to seal the deal. She has been in safaris in Tanzania and explains to me the landscape of the wilderness, stars, tent, etc...I suppose all condusive to carnal desire. This woman, she is very beautiful by the way, has even done it in trees! Wow, now that takes some skill and agile acrobatic abilities.

...for I imagine when I am covered in red dust and sweat, wearing Teva sandal in Fendi's hand-me-down t-shirt-bought-in-8th grade with a farmer's tan and mismatched African kanga print skirt with 2 inches of gray hair coming out of my $7.99 Target sun hat....uh.... I don't think sexy was what I was going for. Even Garnier's Natural Brown #50 can't really save me now. The most I can work it is the shabby chic look. Even that's pushing it...let's face it, the Peace Corps look ain't too hot.

Unfortunately, I can't even max out the 100 pounds because I no longer have space in my baggage, so I'm under 90 pounds. I feel less greedy now.


Without knowing the climate and water situation, who knows what will successfully grow


2 check in + 2 carry on = lots of crap

No comments:

Post a Comment