Saturday, September 1, 2012

I say "hasta la vista" this month to my family and friends

Today is officially September 1, 2012. I leave the last day of this month.

Time passes extremely fast and I feel neutral. I am at this moment neither excited nor unexcited.

This is my modus operandi: I will start "feeling" whatever one is suppose to feel the moment my feet touches foreign soil. This means that anything leading up to it: the drive to the airport, boarding the plane, and even meeting fellow Peace Corps volunteer on American territory will still feel familiar. Surely, I will start to get the vibe of the Peace Corps experience in anticipation of what is to come but I am not there yet...

My heart will start to sing and perhaps flutter when, we, the Peace Corps volunteers start to one by one leave the aircraft arriving at the Mwalimu J.K. Nyerere International Airport queuing in line to give the Tanzanian immigration officer our Peace Corps passport. He looks at us exhausted as we will be arriving late and he makes a loud thump sound as he stamps our entry and then we will leave the airport building with our 100 pound baggages where we packed our life.

... I will then take my first sniff of Tanzanian air. Now, I will have become excited...and hope I didn't forget to bring something....

No comments:

Post a Comment