Thursday, September 27, 2012

Once and for all, the packing has got to be finalized!

Like Groundhog Day, here we go again....another rerun episode of opening all the baggage and looking at everything with numbness and fatigue. I've memorized every single item I own after blankly staring at them for 20 million time since the past two months. I decided to make room for things that will significantly make a difference in a valuable way to me during my Peace Corps tour. Out goes products for the outside and in goes product for the inside. My tiny beauty salon will now be replaced with a tiny vitamin store. I chucked the cheap skin care products and threw in expensive health care supplements. As hard as it was, yes, I dumped a bottle of hair color. I'll have to chose either the Tanzanian president or our president.* Per a friend's advice....it makes total sense to build one's immune system while living in a country where sanitation, illnesses, possibly nutrition and other worrisome issues may and can contribute to one's decline in health. A recent Peace Corps volunteer has malaria, as I discovered this morning via her Facebook. How disconcerting and how very sad I felt when I learned this. Although she seemed fine as she is receiving care and treatment, malaria and other diseases are a reality in the continent of Africa. Even malaria happens to good people.

In addition, I'm removing things that may not be of constant daily use. My art supplies are the only things I am hesitant to leave out as it is heavy and takes space. But since some volunteers are bringing a musical instrument, my art instrument is what I will play in that it will equally nourish the soul and give me pleasure.



* obviously, I have been sarcastic about vanity and the interest in meeting the President of Tanzania and President Obama.

No comments:

Post a Comment