Monday, September 5, 2011

Sigh! More documents needed....

August 31, 2009

As expected, an e-mail immediately arrived from Peace Corps with a handful of attached documents ranging from needing to know if I am a vegetarian, if yes, I would offer answers to some sample scenario questions given as to how I would handle this particular eating habit...then another form asking if I am in a significant romantic relationship and if yes, more questions about that dilemma in how I would handle the separation and ...then the medical, the legal history, financial obligation, divorce documents and skill enhancement suggestions. Each form is a full page in length with many questions to be completely filled out if applicable. Peace Corps needs to know about every angle of my life to assess whether I am suitable for the job or not. Clearly, they are avoiding people that may bail on them at the last moment or give them trouble. Although exhaustive, I appreciate and respect the entire idea of needing to dig deeply into your every nook and cranny. Wanna know what kind of underwear I wear? This is major due diligence on their part. I get it. It makes sense. They are doing the applicant a favor too by profiling who's a flake and who's a keeper. There is a true story of how a volunteer didn't leave the plane once arrived at the destination for reason he/she decided separation with the boy/girlfriend would be too difficult. I rolled my eyes as I read the story. Seriously? I guess so, different strokes for different folks. I guess Juliet couldn't part with her Romeo. For something this serious with dire consequence of being physically, mentally, and emotionally challenged, it is with the utmost gravity that those who can't take it be weeded out pronto.

All the intensive investigation is still not foolproof and guarantees nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment